The multi-user virtual reality (VR) simulator is designed for training of the safe transportation of offshore platform crew from a supply vessel (or tug) to the platform (or from one vessel to another) and back using a platform crane and a transport basket.
The simulator includes the following workstations:
- Instructor starts the server application and manages the exercise.
- Instructor observes the exercise progress via visualization, switching to each student.
- During the exercise, Instructor shares comments and sends commands to Student(s) via the intercom system.
- Based on the recording of the exercise, Instructor reviews, analyzes and assesses the actions of the Student(s).
- Crane operator (student role) operates a rig crane, which transfers a transportation basket from / to rig to / from supply vessel. Large screen(s) provides him for visual monitoring of the operations.
- As the crane operator station is a long distance from the basket, the crane operator needs more precise information about the basket position, speed and distance to obstacles. Deck assistants help out Crane operator through hand signals and voice communication.
- Passengers work in VR helmets. They are to approach the basket, get in and fasten themselves with safety belts for transportation. Once ready, they inform the coordinator. During the transportation, they control their position and inform the coordinator about the status and issues.
- Once transfer is over and the basket is landed on the deck, passengers are prompted to leave the basket and to proceed to safety zone. This is successeful completion of the exercise.
Deck Assistant (Slinger)
- Slinger (student) assists in ongoing operations, reporting by voice or signals.
- Once the basket reaches the vessel (rig), the Slinger (student) needs tp intercept the sling hanging from the basket to brake and fix the position of the basket.
- When basket reaches and touches the deck, the Slinger (student) reports the successful completion of the transportation of the basket and the passenger(s) can go on board the vessel, where the transportation is carried out.
Potential emergency situations
Emergency and abnormal situations available for training:
- Heavy oscillations of the basket
- Basket bumps against rig or vessel
- Stopping the oscillating basket by touching onto water surface
- Fall of the basket or passenger down to water
- Fall of the basket or passenger down on deck
- Wash-away of passenger by heavy waves
- Riggings rupture
- Voice communication not available for coordination, etc.